For emergency response and recovery information, visit

Replacing Vital Documents

Where to replace vital documents lost or damaged

Sonoma County

The Sonoma County Clerk has birth certificates, death records, and marriage certificates for events occurring in Sonoma County. They are unable to provide vital documents for events that occurred someplace other than Sonoma County.

Pursuant to the Governor’s Proclamation of State Emergency, all fees for certified copies of birth, death and marriage records in the state of California are suspended for any individual that lost such records in the fires.  Sonoma County will only have records for events that occurred in Sonoma County (someone was born, died or purchased their marriage license in Sonoma County).

585 Fiscal Dr.
Room 103
Santa Rosa, CA 95403

Monday – Tuesday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Wednesday 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Thursday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM

Read a recent message from our Clerk-Recorder-Assessor and Registrar of Voters on the Tubbs and Nuns fires.

How to Request a Copy
In Person:
  • Applications are available in the office
  • Applicant does not need to have signature notarized for in-person request

Sonoma County Clerk-Recorder
585 Fiscal Dr, Room 103
Santa Rosa, California 95403
Phone: (707) 565-3800

For Mail or Online Applications
  • The sworn statement must be notarized and included with your application.
  • If the notarized statement sworn to under penalty of perjury is not included with your application, it will be rejected as incomplete and it will be returned to you without being processed.
  • Note: Any member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of a state or local government agency, as provided by law, who orders a copy of a record to which subdivision (a) applies in conducting official business may not be required to provide the notarized statement required by subdivision (a).
Online Orders:
  • For convenience, Sonoma County has partnered with an independent company, VitalChek Network, Inc., through which an order may be processed.
  • VitalChek can be reached through its website,
  • All major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® and Visa®
  • Additional fees are charged by VitalChek for using this service.
By Mail:
  • Check or money order from bank or post office  (made payable to the Sonoma County Clerk) only:

Sonoma County Clerk-Recorder
585 Fiscal Dr, Room 103
Santa Rosa, California 95403
Phone: (707) 565-3800

Outside of Sonoma County

Visit the respective County’s website and look for information from the County’s Recorder-County Clerk. Nearby jurisdictions:

The California Department of Public Health also provides a guide online for Obtaining Certified Copies of ​​Birth & Death Records

Birth, death, and marriage certificates of other states and countries must be obtained by the respective Bureau of Records authority.

Contact the issuing financial institution (bank or credit card company), as soon as possible

Department of Motor Vehicles

Visit a California DMV office to complete the required application. Replacement license forms must be delivered in person. Make an appointment online or call (800) 777-0133

  • Santa Rosa DMV*: 2570 Corby Ave, Santa Rosa, CA 95407
  • Petaluma DMV: 715 – J Southpoint Boulevard, Petaluma, CA 94954
  • Novato DMV: 936 7th Street A, Novato, CA 94947

DMV Hours (all locations):

Monday 8:00am – 5:00pm
Tuesday 8:00am – 5:00pm
Wednesday 9:00am – 5:00pm
Thursday 8:00am – 5:00pm
Friday 8:00am – 5:00pm

*Santa Rosa DMV is open on the third Saturday of every month from 8 a.m. to noon.

Phone: 800-375-5283
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website: Replace a Green Card

How to Apply to Replace Your Green Card

If you are a permanent resident who needs to replace your green card or a conditional resident who needs to replace your two-year green card for any of the reasons listed below, you may begin the application process for a replacement green card by:

If you are outside the U.S. and have lost your green card, contact the nearest U.S. consulate, USCIS office or port of entry before attempting to file a Form I-90. If your Form I-90 application is approved, you will be mailed a replacement green card with a 10-year expiration date from the date it is issued.

The IRS center where filed, your accountant or 1-800-829-1040

Local Internal Revenue Service office:

Santa Rosa Taxpayer Assistance Center
777 Sonoma Ave.
Santa Rosa, CA 95404

Monday-Friday – 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.

Office Information

Make Appointment

Services Provided

  • Account inquiries (help with letters, notices and levies on your wages or bank account)
  • Adjustments (changes to tax account information or payments)
  • Alien clearances (Sailing Permits)
  • Assistance with Affordable Care Act tax provision questions for individuals
  • Basic tax law assistance January 2 – April 18 (answers related to your individual Federal Tax Return) (Topics)
  • Check, money order, or cash payment acceptance (Exact Change is Required)
  • Form 911, Request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance
  • Form 2290,  Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return (submission of tax return if unable to e-file)
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7  (More Information)
  • Multilingual assistance (over 150 languages translated)
  • Payment arrangements
  • Procedural inquiries
  • Solutions to tax issues
  • Tax forms (based on availability)

Your insurance agent or company

Department of Veterans Affairs, Papers 1-800-827-1000 or TDD/TTY 1-800-829-4833

Lending institution

You can get an original Social Security card online or in person at the LAC. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free.

You can use a my Social Security account to request a replacement Social Security card online if you:

  • Are a U.S. citizen age 18 years or older with a U.S. mailing address;
  • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and
  • Have a driver’s license or a state-issued identification card from one of the states listed.

If you cannot apply for a card online, you will need to show the required documents. We need to see different documents depending on your citizenship and the type of card you are requesting. See Learn What Documents You Need to find out what documents you will have to show. Fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card; and take or mail your application and documents to your local Social Security office.


To find other local Social Security offices:

1-800-772-1213 or TDD/TTY 1-800-325-0778

Sonoma County

Official Public Record Copies can be obtained by the Sonoma County Clerk Recorder.

585 Fiscal Dr.
Room 103
Santa Rosa, CA 95403

Monday – Tuesday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Wednesday 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Thursday – Friday 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM

Government Code § 6254.21 and related codes prohibits the posting of images of recorded and filed documents online. The County Clerk-Recorder index of documents are available online. Members of the public can view all recorded and filed documents in the office of the County Clerk-Recorder.

Copies of Official Public Records are available for purchase in the office or by mail request. Emailed copies of documents are available only for records between 1980 and present, that are less than 10 pages (due to email attachment size restrictions). Certified copies of records are not available to be emailed.

County Clerk-Recorder staff cannot perform research or identify which documents you may be interested in purchasing. To purchase a document, you must provide the document number of the document you wish to obtain.

Phone: 1-877-487-2778; 888-874-7793 (TTY)

Visit State Department website

Department of Treasury Form PD F-1048 (I) from your bank or at and mail to:

Department of the Treasury
Bureau of the Public Debt
Savings Bonds Operations
P.O. Box 1328
Parkersburg, WV 26106-1328

Your attorney

Close window