For emergency response and recovery information, visit

Reassessment of Property Damaged by Calamity

Revenue and Taxation Code section 170 provides that if a calamity such as fire, earthquake, or flooding damages or destroys your property, you may be eligible for property tax relief. The loss estimate must be at least $10,000 of current market value to qualify the property for this relief. The property will be reassessed according to its damaged state and property taxes will be adjusted accordingly.

This property tax relief is available to owners of real property, business equipment and fixtures, orchards or other agricultural groves, and to owners of aircraft, boats, and certain mobile homes - it is not available to property that is not assessable, such as state licensed mobile homes or household furnishings. For more information, go to Sonoma County's Clerk /Recorder/Assessor/Registrar of Voters website.

Start by looking up the Assessor's Parcel Number (APN) with this tool using the full, or partial address.

Frequently Asked Questions

No. By law to receive an adjusted value due to a calamity such as fire, the damage to the structure must be at least $10,000. If you have structural damage at or above that amount, please fill out a Calamity Damage Reassessment application.

Please contact Housing and Community Development at (800)-952-8356.

The Assessor maintains building sketches for most properties. If you are the property owner, or an authorized agent, who has completed our Authorization to Access Confidential Files form, you may be able to get a copy of that document.

The County Assessor has processed almost all of the Calamity Damage Reassessments as of March 2018. Please be patient with the process if you have not received a notice yet. Once we have determined your new assessed value you will receive a “Notice of Correction to the 601 Assessment Roll” informing you of the new assessment. If you not received this notice by April 5, 2018, please contact the Sonoma County Assessor’s office at (707) 565-1888.


The Assessor is working with Cal Fire and other county departments to identify all properties with over $10,000 in structure damage.  The information we obtain from other agencies will aid us in applying large-scale property tax reductions without taxpayers needing to file paperwork with our offices.  However, if you prefer, you may choose to complete a “Calamity Damage Reassessment” application and submit it to the County Assessor.

For more information visit:

Close window