For emergency response and recovery information, visit

Hazardous Tree Removal

Free Residential Chipper Service

A free chipping program to help fire survivors with fire debris and to help residents create defensible space around occupied homes and reduce vegetation along access routes is being offered through Sonoma County Fire and Emergency Services. County crews will come to homes and chip for three hours for free.  Your eligible chipping material must be piled and ready to go before you submit your application for the program. The chipper can handle material up to 7 inches in diameter and up to 10 feet long. Crews should be able to chip a pile of up to 100 feet long in three hours.

For more information, including how to apply, click here: Free chipping program

Hazardous Fire-Damaged Street Tree Removal

Earlier this year, the City contracted a certified arborist to perform a field survey of all street trees (those in the public right-of-way) in the areas affected by the fires. The Arborist Report identified approximately 700 street trees as being a potential hazard and recommended for removal.

Key Activities
Beginning late June and through October 2019, a contractor will remove hazardous fire-damaged street trees in the burn scar areas, which will include grinding of the tree stumps and filling the planter strips with fresh soil. Project work hours will be between 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday – Friday.  Trees to be removed will be identified with a red marking on the trunk

A detailed searchable map of the trees identified as removable is available at 

Helpful Links
Map of Trees Identified for Removal
Frequently Asked Questions
Project Details
Coffey Park Street Tree Removal List
Fountaingrove Area Street Tree Removal List

More Questions?
Contact 707-543-3800

Removing Burnt Trees In Unincorporated Areas of Sonoma County

Property owners do not need a permit from Sonoma County to remove a damaged tree if they live in unincorporated County jurisdiction.
Determine if you live in the city limits or in an unincorporated area.

Burnt Trees Near County Roads

County Transportation and Public Works maintains roads in the unincorporated areas of Sonoma County, and is making repairs to the 90 miles of roads in burned areas to ensure safe road conditions. Part of this work included an assessment of trees that have the potential of falling into a County road, both in the public Right of Way and on private property. The County hired a professional arborist to evaluate burned trees, which have been tagged for removal or pruning.

  • County Right of Way – Work crews for a contractor hired by the County in December 2018 started removing some of the fire-damaged trees in the County Right-of-Way that were identified by the arborist as presenting a risk to public safety and roadways. The project is expected to continue through April 2019, weather permitting. Property owners  adjacent to the tree removal will be notified by Transportation & Public Works. Please watch for message boards and work crews in your neighborhood and drive with care. Call the Construction Hotline at 707-565-2533 or email with any questions.
  • Private Property – The County is considering how to best ensure that trees on private property, which threaten the safety of people who use County roads, will be removed. Property owners will be informed if they could be responsible for removing the trees.

While some trees may recover years after being burned, the County must prioritize public safety and remove any trees or limbs that could endanger road users.

Tree Care on Private Property

If a tree on your land is not a threat to life or property, you may consider leaving it in place even if it is scarred from the fire. Native trees may recover over time, sometimes re-sprouting from the base. Trees that have burned may still provide benefits such as soil stabilization and habitat.

CAL FIRE timber permits (outside Santa Rosa City limits)

In California, anyone who conducts timber operations on what is deemed timberland must be a licensed as a timber operator (LTO) by the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE). The basic guidelines:

  • If you have land that can be defined as Timberland,
  • And if you cut down trees on it to sell, trade, barter or exchange,
  • Or you cut the trees and use the land where the trees were growing for another use (vineyard, house, driveway, etc),
  • Then you have conducted “Timber Operations” and need to comply with the California State Forest Practice Rules.

First step for property owners who want to remove trees and sell them as lumber is to determine if they are actually considered to be Timberland. If you are in the city of Santa Rosa, the answer is no — you are not in Timberland. No permit is needed from CAL FIRE if inside Santa Rosa city limits.

If you are planning on a project in Sonoma, Lake, and Napa Counties that might involve Timber Operations, contact the CAL FIRE Resource Management Office in Santa Rosa at (707) 576-2344 for clarification and a list of licensed Foresters and Timber Operators.

You may also visit the State Forest Practice webpage for more information and permit forms.

PG&E Hazardous Tree Removal Efforts

PG&E is finished felling thousands of dead and dying trees in the burn areas that could contact power lines. The utility’s free wood hauling program for qualifying logs that PG&E felled is still active. Go to PG&E’s website for more information.

Contact Air Quality District About Open Burns to Remove Green Waste

The Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD) is also working to assist residents affected by the wildfires within its jurisdiction in southern Sonoma County.  Residents interested in discussing the option of conducting an open burn to remove fire-damaged green waste on their property to reduce or eliminate fire hazard should call the BAAQMD at (415) 749-4600 for requirements.


Close window