- Do not allow children to play in the ash and wash off children’s toys before children play with them.
- Immediately wash any part of your body that touches ash to avoid irritation. The best protection for children is to keep them indoors to reduce their exposure until ash has been removed.
- Wash fruits and vegetables from your garden thoroughly before eating them.
- Remove shoes before entering your home or use “sticky mats” in entryways and doors to remove dust and ash from your shoes. Sticky mats are sold in hardware stores.
- Keep pets out of ash areas and wash pets when they have been exposed to ash.
For more information: