For emergency response and recovery information, visit

How can I prepare to return to my property?

A fire in a home can cause serious damage. The building and many of the things in your home may have been badly damaged by flames, heat, smoke and water. Please read these safety precautions.

If you are preparing to return to an area under evacuation, make sure you have ID.  

If you don’t have an ID, Governor Edmund G. Brown Jr. issued emergency proclamations authorizing fee and/or penalty waivers for victims of wildfires in nine counties, allowing them to replace at no cost the following items if damaged due to the fires: duplicate driver licenses, identification cards, vehicle registration and title, and disabled person parking placards. In addition, fire victims can acquire substitute license plates and stickers, vehicle disposal paperwork, and driver record printouts, as well as process a change of address. For more information visit the DMV website.

Here are some other  options for replacing lost ID:

  • The California Department of Motor Vehicles is offering limited services to residents affected by the wildfires raging across the state. Fire victims who need to replace lost or damaged DMV-related documents can do so free of charge at recovery centers in the impacted areas. The DMV is one of several state and federal agencies working together to provide services to fire victims.
Close window