Debris Removal Insurance Reimbursement
Important Reminders for Property Owners Participating in the State-Sponsored Debris Removal Program
It is important to consult with your insurance provider to be certain of your policy and coverages for debris removal.
Set Aside Insurance Claim Funds Designated for Debris Removal
- If you have homeowner’s insurance, and receive a check for your dwelling claim coverages – depending on your policy – this may include an amount designated for debris removal.
- In coordination with state and federal agencies, the County of Sonoma will work with you to collect the amount specified for debris removal in your insurance, but this process will take time.
- In the meantime, do not spend any funds from your insurance claim payment that are specified for debris removal for other rebuilding activities.
Save Your Receipts for Any Private Debris Removal Work
- Some residential properties may require private debris removal for burnt trees, outbuildings under 120 square feet, or other areas not included in the government-sponsored debris removal program.
- Insurance claim funds specified for debris removal can be used to cover those costs.
- It is important that you save your receipts for any private debris removal costs.
- The County of Sonoma will only collect reimbursement for the government-sponsored debris removal program if there are any debris removal funds left unspent in your insurance coverage after you have completed the private removal.
- You will need to provide your receipts to the County for verification of the private removal work at a later date.
California Department of Insurance resources
Homeowners’ (HO) insurance policies cover costs for debris removal in a few different ways. You should consult your specific insurance policy to determine how debris removal benefits are paid. An Insurance Fact Sheet from the California Department of Insurance explains different coverages and the two typical kinds of Homeowners’ Insurance. The department’s Top Tips for Wildfire Claimants also offers advice to those who lost their homes in the fires.
City of Santa Rosa & County of Sonoma Informational Mailings
Below is a link to the items that have been mailed to residents who participated in the Government-Sponsored Debris Removal Program: